Seasonal allergies can certainly be miserable, especially in the spring and summer.
Conventional medicine treats seasonal allergies with injections and pills. While these do provide symptom relief unfortunately they also cause side effects and really do nothing to address the root problem.
When trying to resolve allergies, not just manage them, it is important to understand that allergies are an immune response. When the immune system is activated and irritated, it can react to everything. When trying to restore balance to the immune system, it is important to also consider inflammation and gut health (since over 60% of the immune system resides in the gut). If you would like more information on the gut’s role in allergies, I encourage you to go to the website and read more under “Environmental Allergies.”
While working to improve gut health and balance the immune system, one of my favorite products for seasonal allergies is D-Hist. This product is a targeted blend of flavonoids, antioxidants, proteolytic enzymes and botanicals designed to provide comprehensive support for seasonal allergies. This product contains the following ingredients which work on the root cause of allergies by several mechanisms, including:
- Quercetin – known for its ability to stabilize mast cells, thereby diminishing the release of histamine.
- Stinging Nettle Extract – promotes immune system balance, specifically in the airways and nasal passages.
- Bromelain – a proteolytic enzyme that aids in the breakdown of antigenic compounds.
- N-acetyl cysteine (NAC) – which helps reduce the viscosity of mucus allowing for clearing of the airways and improved respiratory health.
- Vitamin-C – which has many immune boosting properties and is beneficial because of its ability to deactivate histamine.
By taking this approach and utilizing this combination of ingredients you are attacking allergies on multiple levels and getting at the underlying cause instead of just taking an antihistamine. However, don’t forget to incorporate the healthy lifestyle necessary to improve gut health and balance the immune system for overall health. If you would like more information on D-Hist, it is available in the Vitopia Store.