Supplements from naturally sourced ingredients - personalized health and fitness plans

Father's Day

Men’s Health

Since Sunday is Father’s Day and June is National Men’s Health month, I would like to discuss two topics related to men’s health.

  1. Heart Disease and Cholesterol Lowering Drugs:
Heart disease remains the number one killer of men despite the wide use of prescription cholesterol lowering drugs.  This is because cholesterol itself is not the underlying cause of heart disease.  Additionally, these drugs can have serious side effects including muscle damage, memory loss, liver damage, type 2 diabetes, kidney failure and increased cancer risk.


While many in conventional medicine are focused on lowering cholesterol levels, the real issue is often overlooked.  According to the latest research, the real cause of heart disease is oxidized cholesterol and inflammation.  This inflammation damages the blood vessels resulting in cardiovascular disease.

What can you do:

  • Eat a healthy diet. Approximately 75% of the diet should consist of phytonutrient rich plant foods, with the remaining 25% made up of nuts, seeds, omega-3 oils, and organic grass-fed meat.  Avoid trans-fats, sugar, high-fructose corn syrup and heavily processed foods.
  • Maintain optimal thyroid function, since hypothyroidism increases the risk for inflammation and coronary artery disease.
  • Maintain optimal testosterone levels.
  • Exercise regularly.
  • Get 7 to 8 hours of quality sleep each night.
  • Supplement with quality vitamins and minerals like magnesium, omega-3 fish oil, CoQ10, vitamin D, vitamin C and alpha lipoic acid.
  1. Managing Your Weight:

Obesity in men is linked to the following diseases:  high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, heart disease, stroke, prostate cancer, colon cancer, gall bladder disease, osteoarthritis, sleep apnea and depression. 

As outlined above, focus on a diet high in vegetables and fruits, limit carbohydrates, get adequate exercise and increase fiber intake.  If you still find weight loss difficult, we recommend a 3-week food allergy elimination diet and a detoxification program, since hidden food intolerances and environmental toxins often hinder weight loss.

We encourage you to take a proactive role in your health!  Take our online Metabolic Assessment to identify any specific areas of focus for your overall health.  To learn more visit

NOTE:  If you are on prescription medications to lower cholesterol, do NOT discontinue them without working with your healthcare practitioner.  As you implement dietary, lifestyle, and supplement changes your labs and condition will require monitoring by your practitioner.

Comments 0

Leave a comment

Please note, comments must be approved before they are published