5 Functional Medicine Principles
There are 5 basic principles that define Functional Medicine:
- Functional Medicine understands we are all different, genetically and biochemically unique. This personalized approach treats the individual, not the disease. It supports the normal healing mechanisms of the body, naturally, rather than attacking disease directly.
- Functional Medicine is deeply science based. The latest research shows us that what happens within us is connected in a complicated network of relationships. Understanding those relationships allows us to see deep into the functioning of the body.
- Your body is intelligent and has the capacity for self-regulation, which expresses itself through a dynamic balance of all your body systems.
- Your body has the ability to heal and prevent nearly all the diseases of aging.
- Health is not just the absence of disease, but a state of immense vitality.
For more information, please check out our in-depth articles on preventing and healing chronic diseases utilizing a functional medicine approach. We also encourage you to subscribe to our distribution list so you can receive the most current scientific information on healthy aging and prevention of chronic disease.
Wishing you good health!
Mike Woodley, R.Ph, FAARM, FMNM