There are currently more than 80,000 chemicals in widespread use in the US and it is estimated that only about 1% have been studied for safety. These chemicals are found in shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, soap, deodorant, sunscreen, body lotion, not to mention the food we eat, the water we drink and the air we breathe. Many of these chemicals are harmless, but many are carcinogens, neurotoxins and endocrine disruptors.
Exposure to all these chemicals presents a unique challenge to our bodies, which did not exist throughout most of history. While it is impossible to avoid all these chemicals, in addition to avoiding as many as possible, there are steps you can and should take to support your body’s natural detoxification processes.
To help you in your journey to supporting your body’s natural ability to detoxify, here are some specific recommendations:
Incorporate more phytonutrient-rich foods into your daily diet. These include:
- Flavonoids: These are found in foods like cilantro, onions, apples oranges and blueberries. They are high in antioxidants and bind to heavy metals in the body.
- Quercetin: It has anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. It tends to be concentrated in the skin of fruits and vegetables. Quercetin is found in citrus fruits, apples, onions, parsley, nuts, tea, blueberries and blackberries.
- Epigallocatechin-3-gallate (EGCG): This product is also a powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory. It is thought to stimulate the body’s production of certain enzymes responsible for detoxification of Persistent Organic Pollutants (POPs) which are a group of chemicals that are very toxic and cause cancer and other adverse health effects. The richest source of EGCG is green tea.
- Curcumin: Curcumin is the active compound in turmeric. It is an antioxidant and also binds heavy metals in the body. Like EGCG it is involved in POP detoxification.
- Organosulfur Compounds: Foods containing sulfur compounds include onion, garlic, broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, kale, turnips, and bok choy. They are antioxidants, reduce inflammation and bind to heavy metals to assist with excretion.
Incorporating some of these phytonutrient-rich foods into your daily diet is a great way to support and boost your body’s natural detoxification systems.
Due to the overwhelming quantity of toxins, we are exposed to we also recommend a periodic detoxification program designed to enhance and promote both Phase I and Phase II detoxification pathways. One of our favorites is the Core Restore Kit which provides the essential nutrients necessary to support detoxification. The kit is an easy to follow 7-day program, complete with in-depth support materials and a patient handbook. You can find the Core Restore Kit in the Vitopia store or email us for additional information.